Call Today For Your Strategy Session: (303) 990-5308


Any time you’re involved in a family law case, it’s likely that the experience will be emotional and stressful. It’s important to have an experienced family law attorney that understands your needs and can handle your case so you and your family can move on. The divorce attorneys at Burnham Law have experience in a wide range of Colorado family law matters and know that resolving your family law case in the best way possible is absolutely paramount. We are ready, willing, and able to handle a variety of family law cases, including post-decree modifications, support matters, divorce, and child custody.


Divorce can become complicated quickly, particularly if you and your spouse are struggling to come to agreements on key matters. A divorce that is seemingly going smoothly can turn on a dime and drag out, costing you money and stress, so it’s important to have an attorney at your side who can help you through this process. Many areas of your life will be impacted by the divorce and your property and debts will be divided. Going in unprepared or unsure of your rights could result in inferior outcomes.

The attorneys at Burnham Law understand the Colorado Springs court system and Colorado family and divorce laws, and we have the experience you need to get the best possible outcome for your case.


Where do I file for divorce in El Paso County?

All divorce cases have to be filed with the Office of the District Clerk in the county in which you reside. However, many counties, such as El Paso, now require that all documents be e-filed in all divisions rather than physically being paper-filed with the Clerk’s Office. For El Paso County, you need to file at the Clerk’s Office which is located in the Courthouse at 270 S. Tejon St. in Colorado Springs.

How long do I have to live in Colorado Springs before filing for divorce?

Colorado Springs / El Paso County does not have specific residency requirements. You would only be subject to the state of Colorado residency requirement, which is 90 days.

Where is your Colorado Springs office?

Our office is located at 1710 Chapel Hills Dr. Suite A.


Burnham Law will assist you as you work with the other parent to create a parenting plan for your children that meets the needs of everyone involved. It’s generally in your best interest to craft an agreement with the other parent outside of court. If you can’t agree and do have to go before the judge, he or she will make these important decisions for you. We are fully prepared to go to court and defend your interests should an agreement not be possible.

The final outcome of your custody case will be outlined in a court order known as a parenting plan, and this plan can be changed in the future as your situation changes. We pride ourselves on building lasting relationships with our family law clients and are able to assist you if you need to change your custody arrangement.


Child support is often tied into a custody case. This is money one parent gives to another parent to support their children, and even if you have a pre or post-nuptial agreement that sets or eliminates child support payments, it may still be possible in your case. The award is determined by many factors, including the children’s expenses, the assets and earnings of each parent, and how the parenting time has been divided. Bear in mind that the support order may not reflect the parenting time division and that cases involving substantial assets can get very complex very quickly.

Our attorneys have experience in both high asset, and more common support cases. Since this is an ongoing obligation that will affect your children and your personal finances, it’s crucial that you have experienced representation for this type of case.

Spousal support, alimony, or spousal maintenance is financial support one spouse pays to another spouse. Spousal support can be paid temporarily as your case moves along, or become permanent once the final divorce order is issued by the court. Unlike child support, your pre or post-nuptial agreements can impact spousal support awards or prevent them altogether. Spousal support is calculated with different factors considered, such as how long you were married, your living standard as a couple, and the assets and incomes of each party.

Both child and spousal support can be modified after they are awarded. If you have a change in circumstances that calls for the modification of your support award, contact us about your case as soon as you can. The modification, once granted, is effective only back to the date you filed for it, so the longer you wait, the more it will cost you.