The construction industry in Fort Collins is one of the busiest in the state. The expansion of Fort Collins also presents unique challenges. Fort Collins is expanding with both residential and commercial projects being completed across the town. With a large amount of activity comes a wide range of legal issues to be addressed. Finding legal representation in Fort Collins that can cover such a broad range of issues can be difficult. At Burnham Law, we have put together a team of lawyers that can tackle most of the issues our construction clients face.
What We Do
High-quality legal representation in the area of construction law requires a well-rounded legal team that understands both the transactional and litigation issues that can arise in a given situation. At Burnham Law, our construction law practice includes:
- Contracts (drafting and reviewing) – Contracts are the foundation of many construction industry relationships. Having a well-drafted contract can save time and money, and may even avoid conflict altogether.
- Construction Defects – Colorado has adopted a special set of laws to address construction defects called the Construction Defect Action Reform Act (or CDARA). CDARA has specific procedures, practices, and deadlines that must be followed. At Burnham Law, we represent both those individuals or businesses who have a defect claim and defend contractors against false defect claims. Our construction defect practice involves using some of Fort Collins top construction experts and investigators.
- Mechanic’s Liens – Mechanic’s liens are a useful and common practice in Fort Collins. At Burnham Law, we file, enforce, and defend mechanic’s lien cases. Colorado law requires that specific deadlines and procedures are followed in order to have an enforceable lien. The failure to follow the law can result in penalties and losing the right to enforce the lien altogether.
- Litigation – When all else fails, a lawsuit may be required to resolve a dispute. The litigation team at Burnham Law employs aggressive and active techniques that strategically build their client’s case from discovery to trial.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution – Arbitration is a form of alternative dispute resolution that allows parties to resolve conflicts without going to a formal court. Instead of going to court, the parties submit their dispute to an arbitrator who hears each side’s evidence and then makes a binding decision. Arbitration is used widely across the construction industry in Fort Collins.
- Employment Law – From immigration law, to non-compete agreements, to worker’s compensation, the Fort Collins construction industry touches nearly every facet of employment law.
- Compliance – City and County codes, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements, and property zoning are just a few of the compliance issues that Fort Collins construction projects must address. Burnham Law handles compliance issues so our clients can concentrate on completing their projects on time and within budget.
Who We Represent
There are many different parties to a construction project, with each role having its own unique legal challenges. At Burnham Law, we represent nearly every facet of a construction project, including:
- General contractors
At Burnham Law, we have built our construction law team so that our clients can enjoy the full spectrum of legal assistance that we provide without having to shop around Fort Collins law firms. At Burnham Law, our team of qualified lawyers are ready to handle your construction transaction or construction litigation needs. With our team on your case, you can be assured that Burnham Law will be by your side no matter the issue.