we listen. we think. you win. start here.

Co-Parenting? Who can CLAIM children as dependents?

When we’re talking about child dependency exemptions, we’re talking about who can claim the child as a dependent for tax purposes. The federal rule is that the majority parent claims the child, but Colorado is a little different. It’s based on income.

If both parents make the same, then you’re alternating each year. If one parent makes twice as much, that means that they’re probably paying more in child support, so they claim it two years in a row, while the parent that receives the child support would be claiming the child every third year. So if you pay double the amount, you can claim the child two years in a row. If you pay triple the amount, you can claim the child three years in a row. That’s how it works. It’s based on income in Colorado, and not just on the overnights and the parenting time.

How can we help?

We have your back.

Speak with our experienced legal team who inspire, inform, and work hard to win for you.

Get started here


Founding Partner


More Articles

Share This Article