If you or a loved one has had a serious injury, a Centennial personal injury attorney will help protect your rights and provide the guidance and care you need. Schedule a free consultation with our injury lawyers in Centennial to see how much financial compensation you can get from your case. Find out how much your personal injury (PI) claim is worth today from our award-winning attorneys.
What is Personal Injury?
Under Colorado law, when a person suffers harm due to the negligence or failure of another person to exercise reasonable care, it results in a case of personal injury. The harm caused to another person can be physical such as bodily injuries, emotional such as mental suffering, or in the form of property damage, such as damage to a vehicle, or it can also result in the death of a person. In order to have a successful claim, all three of the criteria below must be met:
- Duty of care: The person against whom a PI claim in Centennial is to be filed should have a duty of care towards the individuals who suffered harm.
For example, a car driver has a duty of care to ensure that he drives in a safe manner and follows all traffic rules to ensure the safety of his fellow passengers on the road.
- Negligence/failure to exercise reasonable care: The person against whom a PI case is to be filed should have been negligent or careless in exercising reasonable care while fulfilling his duty of care.
For example, a car driver who exceeds the permissible speed limit or ignores a traffic light is negligent in his duty of care towards fellow passengers on the road.
- Harm resulting from negligence: The person who wants to file a PI claim in Centennial should be able to show that the harm suffered they suffered was due to the negligence of the other person against whom a claim is being made.
For example, when a person suffers bodily injury and damage to his car because of an accident caused by a speeding car, the injury was caused due to the negligent behavior of the driver of the speeding car.
What are the Different Types of Personal Injury Cases in Centennial?
In Centennial, Colorado, there are a wide variety of PI cases which include:
- Auto accidents: This type of injury case includes car accidents, truck accidents, drunken driving cases, or other motor vehicle accidents, such as motorcycle accidents.
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents: This includes bicyclists or pedestrians getting hit on the road.
- Product liability: This includes damages caused due to faulty products—for example, a faulty electric device.
- Premises liability: This includes injuries caused due to unsafe premises of another person—for example, injury caused due to an unmarked slippery floor.
- Dog bite/ pet injuries: This includes injuries caused by the pets of another person.
- Construction accidents: This includes accidents that happen at construction sites.
- Nursing home neglect: This includes abuse such as physical or financial abuse at nursing homes or other care facilities.
- Workplace injury: This includes injuries caused to workers/ employees due to unsafe working conditions at a workplace.
- Insurance bad faith: This includes the failure of insurance companies to act in good faith or within proper time.
- Catastrophic injury: This includes life-changing injuries such as damage to your spinal cord, general back injuries, or traumatic brain injuries.
- Toxic substance injury: This includes injuries caused due to the negligent handling of a harmful substance such as Carbon Monoxide.
- Burn injuries: This includes burn injuries such as injuries caused due to a faulty gas stove or fire at the workplace.
- Wrongful death: This includes severe physical injuries resulting in death.
If you live in Centennial, Colorado, and you or someone you love has experienced any of the above injuries, contact the qualified PI lawyers at Burnham Law to learn what a fair settlement would be for your case.
What are the Different Types of Damages You Can Recover in a Personal Injury Case?
In Centennial, you can claim different types of damages. These include compensation for both economic and non-economic damages as follows:
- Medical bills: Doctor visits, pharmacy expenses, therapy costs, and other expenses made on medical care past, present, and future that are associated with the injury.
- Loss of income & wages: Inability to attend work, permanent disability to perform certain kinds of work, as well as present and future ‘loss of earning capacity.’
- Property damage: Damages to vehicles, any valuable item inside the vehicle, or other loss(es) to a real property.
- Pain and suffering: Extreme discomfort and physical pain, both present and future, which is attributable to the accident.
- Emotional distress: Mental and emotional trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Permanent disability or impairment: Facial disfigurement, paralysis, brain damages
- Wrongful death: The legal heirs of the deceased are entitled to compensation for the wrongful death of their family member.
- Punitive damages: In a few cases, a court may also award punitive damages, which act as a deterrent for other people. These are awarded when the negligent behavior is extremely reckless or hazardous or displays willful misconduct or bad faith.
At Burnham Law, our super lawyers are experts in dealing with such claims and determining the types of damages that can be claimed in a case. If you believe that you or your loved ones have a PI claim, but you are not sure of the damages you can claim, contact us by filling out our free consultation form or calling us directly at (303) 647-9112. Our team of Centennial personal injury lawyers will guide you in determining what types of damages you can claim.
How Long Will it Take to Obtain my Compensation for my Personal Injury Damage?
‘When will I receive my compensation?’ This is one of the top questions an injured person will have in their mind. Although there is no strict timeline, as the process may vary from case to case, various factors come into play while determining when the compensation will be received:
- Severity of injuries and recovery: Comprehensive medical reports are important to determine the extent of damage suffered.
- Unclear liability: When there are multiple parties involved or if the victim is partially at fault, then determining the liability takes a longer time.
- No cooperation from the Insurance Company: Many times, insurance companies do not process claims in good faith and try to delay and derail the claims.
- Negotiation and settlement: Many times the parties, including the injured, the at-fault person, and the insurance company, are unable to reach a settlement. The claim then has to go through a court process, and the lawsuit can prolong the timeline.
What is the Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Case?
Under the laws of Colorado, personal injury claims are subject to time limits. While in most cases, the limitation period runs from the date of the accident, in some cases, it may also run from the date of treatment or procedure. Usually, a period of two-year or three-year is the applicable time limit in a PI claim depending on the type of case.
Even if the limitation period has expired, sometimes an exception may exist under the laws of Colorado for filing a personal injury claim. Thus, it is important that you consult a personal injury attorney in Centennial as soon as possible to know your legal rights when filing a claim.
How Much is Your Personal Injury Claim Worth?
Although there is no straight-jacket formula to determine the worth of a PI claim, the following damages will be included:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Present and future loss of income and loss of earning capacity
- Damages to Property
- Damages for pain and suffering, mental trauma, permanent disabilities
Determining the value of your case is not an easy task and requires the help of an experienced lawyer. Insurance companies will try their best to make sure you receive reduced compensation and will not take into account many relevant factors that increase your claim amount. Therefore, it becomes necessary to consult a personal injury attorney in Centennial to know the true worth of your claim.
When Should I Consult A Personal Injury Attorney in Centennial, CO?
It is advisable to consult a PI attorney in Centennial, CO, as soon as possible to secure your legal rights and get the maximum compensation possible. The sooner you contact our law firm, the better the chances are that your case will move in the right direction. Our attorneys will also guide you on how to preserve and keep a record of the important evidence that will be used at later stages of your case.
Sometimes, insurance companies of the at-fault parties will try to contact you and ask you to make certain written or recorded statements or even try to contact you while you are at the hospital. In such a scenario, you should never answer them or make any statements without first consulting your attorney. These statements can have a huge impact on your personal injury claim. You should also not make any statements to your own insurance company without consulting your attorney first.
Our Centennial personal injury attorneys will also guide you in every step and negotiate on your behalf in the settlement process to ensure that you receive full compensation for the injuries you suffered.
Burnham Law provides a free consultation to evaluate your claim; therefore, you should contact us as soon as possible after suffering an injury to get the compensation you deserve.
What to Expect During Your Free Consultation With Our Personal Injury Attorneys?
At Burnham Law, we provide a free consultation to evaluate your claim. After you contact us, a trained paralegal or legal professional from our office will contact you and ask you relevant questions to understand your accident and prepare you for the consultation. During your free consultation, our lawyer will:
- Evaluate and discuss the facts of your case and inform you about important evidence you should preserve.
- Examine the liability and compensation payable depending upon the merits of your case.
- Guide you through the legal process of dealing with insurance companies, settlement, and a court case, if required.
- Help you with any other information you would like to receive.
At Burnham Law, we believe in complete transparency and honesty. Thus, at our free consultation, we will also inform you if our firm is the right choice for your personal injury claim. Our experienced attorneys will help you protect your legal rights and secure the maximum compensation possible.
We also understand that going through an accident can be an emotional and traumatic experience. To that end, our law office serving Centennial is open to any friend or relative accompanying you for your free consultation.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
In addition to the above-mentioned information, the following questions can frequently arise after experiencing an injury at the hands of another’s negligence:
What do I do if an Insurance Company is Contacting Me Regarding My Personal Injury Claim?
Whenever an insurance company contacts you or offers you a settlement, it is in your best interests that you do not engage in any conversation with them directly before consulting your personal injury lawyer. This is because insurance companies may undervalue your claim, deny liability or ask you to make certain written or recorded statements that may be used against you in a court case.
What Types of Insurance are Relevant in a Personal Injury Claim?
There are several insurance types that can be relevant in a personal injury case. These include automobile insurance, homeowners insurance, health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, business owners insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, and commercial liability insurance. The applicable insurance can be best determined after consulting an experienced personal injury lawyer.
At Burnham Law, our attorneys are experts in dealing with PI claims in Centennial and dealing with insurance companies. If you believe that you or your loved ones have a PI claim (if you have been involved in car accidents, motorcycle accidents, or you’ve suffered from medical malpractice or legal malpractice), but you are not sure of how to deal with the insurance companies contacting you, contact us by filling our free consultation form or calling us directly at (303) 647-9112. Our experienced attorney team will guide you through the process of determining the time limit and all other legal issues.
Why Choose Our Centennial Personal Injury Attorneys and How They Can Help You in Securing Your Legal Rights?
If you have suffered catastrophic injuries or damages due to the fault of another person, you should contact a local Centennial personal injury attorney as soon as possible. At Burnham Law, our experienced personal injury lawyers provide legal services, including an initial consultation and guidance for all types of claims involving injuries. Our personal injury law firm has a successful track record of helping injured people in securing their legal rights and obtaining the maximum compensation possible for them.
Our attorneys have years of experience in dealing with insurance companies and negotiating a settlement on behalf of the injured. Our lawyers and legal team ensure that our clients receive the rightful compensation for the very serious injuries they suffered by taking into account all the facts and circumstances of the case. Our Centennial, Colorado, personal injury lawyers also help our clients by offering them legal representation in court. Our firm will take care of all the legal filings on your behalf. We understand that experiencing an accident can be an emotional and traumatic experience, so we provide a comfortable consultation environment so that they can freely tell us about all the pain and suffering caused by the accident.
If you believe that you or your loved ones are entitled to a personal injury claim, contact our Colorado personal injury attorneys right away by filling out the free case evaluation form below. Our Centennial law firm is here to provide you with the legal advice, guidance, care, and help needed to make your experience easier and stress-free. We’re a top law firm with the best trial lawyers, 5-star client reviews, and a stellar success rate for a reason. Call us today!